Type of work: Full-Time
Location: Boulder, CO
Company URL: www.vermilion.com
Date Posted: June 18, 2012
Vermilion is a full-spectrum, integrated marketing agency located in Boulder, CO. Building brands is what we’ve been doing for nearly 30 years—through intelligent positioning, award-winning design, and trendsetting digital development. We are passionate about brands and organizations that make this a better world, and we look for team members who share that passion.
We are seeking a Design Director who can serve a dual role—one part team leader, one part designer. This unique position requires a hands-on approach in both cases and a very agile mind who can balance fulfilling the needs of the department, the designers, and their individual workload simultaneously. Our design department is a fast-paced environment where creative artistry and strategic thinking drive everything we do.
As team leader, the Design Director will be responsible for sustaining and elevating the caliber of the visual design across all of our work. Responsibilities include art direction and mentoring as well as serving as a sounding board and inspiration for the entire team. This person will also be externally-facing and participate in key client meetings and creative presentations. The Design Director will be reporting to the Creative Director, and the two must have a very fluid and communicative relationship.
As a designer, the Design Director will be creating and producing design work and be serving as an additional powerhouse for the team. Projects range from identity, print and packaging to online advertising and websites with a large focus being the digital realm.
Candidates should be first and foremost creative problem solvers who can both express their own vision and elevate others. Deep interactive knowledge is highly valued. Agency and management experience are mandatory.
- BFA or BS degree in relevant field of study or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in the design field
- Strong information visualization and prototyping skills
- Coaches all other members of the design staff.
- Ability to clearly and confidently present your work in front of both internal team members and external clients
- Possesses an advanced understanding of all stages of brand campaign development, including design processes for mobile websites and applications.
- Assists the Creative Director in the distribution of work throughout the department. Helps manage day-to-day workflow-related issues, such as filling downtime and freelance needs.
- Provides accurate hourly estimates to Account teams for budgeting projects.
- Assists in tracking hours against estimates. Makes sure that Designers are pulling the hours that they need and getting the job done in the time budgeted.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite—in particular Photoshop and Illustrator
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven self-starter
How to Apply
All candidates should include a link to their portfolio or provide work samples as part of the application process. Please indicate your role and contribution for each project submitted.
Please email the following to jobs [at] vermilion.com with the subject “Design Director”:
- A cover letter that shows your desire and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- A resume
- Your portfolio, either attached as a PDF or included a link to your online portfolio in your cover letter and resume.
Please name the files with your last name: